First cathedral and first bishop
The first church was consecrated on 14 January 1855. Mgr. Jean-Charles Prince chose St. Michael as its patron saint. The first cathedral was located in front of the present cathedral, where the lawns are, facing the present Bishop's Palace and along the street. To the right, the 1854 church which became the cathedral in 1874 and was enlarged for the sacristies in 1884.
The first rectory was built around 1869. It was Mgr. Racine's first residence upon his arrival in Sherbrooke in 1874. On the left, the Bishop's Palace as it appeared after the enlargement of 1884. It was located where the actual nave of the cathedral is, thus the necessity of demolishing it to build the new cathedral.